Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Goodbye to a Legend

This man here is one of the men responsible for falling in love with science fiction. Serious science fiction. Star Wars and Star Trek have nothing on this guy. He brought mystery and technology to the same table with wonderment hosting the dinner party. Arthur C. Clarke was 90 years old and lived in Sri Lanka. His most famous book has one of my favorite quotes:

"The thing's hollow - it goes on forever - and - oh my God! - it's full of stars!" - Mission Commander Dave Bowman, 2001: A Space Odyssey.The second in the series (there would be 4 total) gave us something scientists are pondering that might be possible, life on another world. Then, he showed Jupiter blowing up and turning into a sun.
Mr. Clarke, I've never met you but I want to thank you for enriching my life.

No comments: