Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"The Wheel In The Sky Keeps On Turnin'.."

Journey said it best. I don't know where I'll be tomorrow. I was gonna talk about my new Wednesday Night Youth Group class (I teach the high school age kids) but things kept on getting pushed back. Maybe another time. What I will talk about is the situation in our world today.

On my Facebook account, I wrote the note, " Dean is shocked how the hammer fell today." and I got a couple comments from people who didn't understand what I meant. Well, here it goes. I work for the world's LARGEST (I don't care what other people say, as big as this place is, you almost can see it from space) auto auction. I enjoy my job (sometimes). I've been here for 10 years and I wouldn't mind retiring from here (bennies are great!) But after the past couple of months, me and some others are scared. They've started to lay off people.

Dad says don't get comfortable. The Swarrior has an application for another job for me. I've applied at two restaurants for part-time work. I had to agree with my mom. She told me to look but get something you know will be secure. If I would leave where I am now, I'll be low man on the totem pole and if things go bad, the first to go. I'm listening to her (always listen to your mother, kids) but being careful at the same time.

Alex, on the other hand, is in for a surprise. Tomorrow, Thanksgiving, after my mother-in-law slips into turkey coma, my father-in-law is grabbing the boy and putting him in the chair. The barber chair. Ma-maw has been fighting this for the past month, but now there's nothing she can do about. Alex NEEDS a haircut. I say give him a cut like what I usually get, a military style flat top (no comb for 3 months!) but the wifey won out and said "trim it, but keep some of the curls." (Those curls are gonna get him into trouble. Mark my words!) The next post will show his reaction to this. I wonder... If Michelle gives him some of her turkey, will that help him, or will we need a sedative...

Well, that's pretty much what's going on right now. One reminder, 42nd Street starts at the Fulton Theatre in December. So if you're in the area, please check it out. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Catch you on the flipside!

Next Time: The Haircut Song By Ray Stevens

No comments: