Wednesday, March 07, 2007

America Is Dead!

America is dead. It took a bullet to the head. Of course, you probably think, who cares. Plus, if you do care, people will look at you as a freak.

Now that I got your attention and hopefully got you mad. Why am I saying this? Because it's true! Captain America is dead. In a recent storyline called Civil War, Cap (a.k.a. Steve Rogers) was heading to court on his role in this series when a sniper/assassin shot on the courthouse steps. Civil War was a story where it was hero verses hero over a government law to have superheroes registered. Cap was on the side against because he felt it was unconstitutional. Marvel Comics has made a mistake. And a lot of people are mad as heck.
Captain America was created in the 40s duing World War 2. Steve Rogers was a fine art major when he enlisted. But do to polio as a young child he was 4F, meaning he was rejected by the military because of his overall wimpy physical stature. Not one to give up, he was offered a chance to help the government. He became a test subject for "Project: Rebirth". This secret project developed a serum to enhance the strength and stamina in a average soldier. Rogers was perfect for the test. After He drank the "Super Soldier Serum" his body got muscular and taller. The scientists on the project began doing tests on him. Every test Rogers took he passed, breaking every record. But, remember this was WW2 and the Nazi spies were everywhere. One managed to get into Project: Rebirth. The spy was discovered by the head scientist on the project and killed him. Unfortunately for the spy, the scientist destroyed all his notes before they were stolen. The Nazi was killed trying to escape.
The government realizing that Rogers was the only person to take the serum, decided to make him a symbol. Donned in a red, white, and blue costume and given a impervious shield, Steve Rogers became Captain America. As Cap, he became the spirit of the good ole U. S. of A. Nazis ran from him. Evil was defeated at every turn. The war turned in the comics world because of him. Until the impossible happened. Near the end of the war, Cap was frozen in an iceberg. Then, in the 60s, He was found and unfrozen, returning to fight the good fight against evil and oppression.

In reality, he was created by comics legends Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. He started on the Timely Comics imprint (that then became Marvel Comics) Joe Simon recently quoted when Cap was killed, " It's a hell of a time for him to go. We really need him now." Amen, brother.

That is my quick and allbeit short history Of Captain America. If there was anyone who represented the country, it was Cap. Kids looked up to him during the 40s. He was an American Hero for all ages. Finally, I present five pages of the Marvel mini-series The Infinity Gauntlet. This is what Captain America means to me. With all hope of victory gone, Cap stands up to Thanos, an alien with the powers of a god. It's a moment I will never forget. He knows he's the last man standing and he won't back down know matter what the cost. Don't worry, he survives the battle (but don't ask me how, you have to read the series!) I hope I don't get in trouble for this. It's MY tribute to the Star-Spangled Avenger. He will be missed by so many fans.
Finally, Marvel, I stopped reading your different comic series about two to three years ago. I will still read your classic stuff up to the 90s. But all in all, I can't read you anymore. if people say, "Oh he'll be back alive next month." I don't care how you bring him back. I don't care if it is a comic. A bullet to head is pretty final.
Also, found out the next issue is the autopsy of Captain America. So instead of the usual closing saying, I leave you with the phrase said by Cap in the Avengers videogame from the 90s:


AMERICA STILL NEEDS YOUR HELP!!
Next Time: I wanted to talk about my cigar smoking but I'll save that for a couple moths from now. Meanwhile, goodbye Captain America.

3 comments:

Gabe Swarr said...

He will be missed!

Stupid snipers...DEAN!

Lamar The Revenger said...

i forgot to mention this. thank you zach swarr for some of the Captain America info. i couldn't have written it without your help!

The Swarrs... said...

Ahh Cap...RIP. I feel as though something has been taken from me and I don't like it. I have so many fond memories of our Star-spangled Avenger...so many trips to the comic store have been consumed by Cap. I've also had many a Captain America comics sent to me when they were needed most (gabe...).

Semper Fi, Cap.